Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Transylvania from Above

Here's how it all started: clearing the cows from the field that would serve as our take-off and landing strip for our Transylvania Sightseeing Flight.  I have to admit that I was pretty nervous for my first-ever trip in a little four-seat sightseeing plane, but within seconds of take-off, I was relaxed and excited, trying to take it all in as we soared above Cluj, the 17th Century Armenian-founded town of Gherla, the Apuseni Mountains (part of the Western Carpathians), and the Turda Gorge.

The company and pilots: Skydive Transilvania (though I wasn't intending to Skydive this time around, we collected all the info for a possible future adventure.)  As usual, you can click on the picture to make it bigger:
   The plane (a Cessna, which I believe is American-designed):


The passengers (Adriana, the big winner of this sightseeing trip, who was kind enough to include me, and Terri):

And last but not least, the views (SPECTACULAR, to say the least):












All the factors combined to make a seriously memorable November afternoon in Transylvania.

In just two weeks I fly again, but this time it will be across the Atlantic and home for the holidays-- from Transylvania to Pennsylvania.

1 comment:

  1. Marsha,
    Great pictures of the view from the plane. Is that time of the year again where they are putting up the ice rink around Piata Unirii? Is Rob still playing for cluj-mobitelco? Tell everybody I said hi for me. Matthew Schultz(Kentucky,USA)

    ReplyDelete